TEXT Mommy's Home: Eggnog with an*ahem* alcoholic twist

Monday 12 December 2011

Eggnog with an*ahem* alcoholic twist

If you are new to my blog, I am from a tiny Caribbean island called Trinidad. In Trinidad we do not need a reason to party but since it is Christmas time in Canada, I thought I should share one of my favorite drinks.

In North America, eggnog is popular around this time of the year but in Trinidad we do it island style with rum of course. We call it Ponche a Creme. I did some research for a few recipes and every single one is different. I decided to go with one that calls for a lot of rum. With me so far? I thought so.

My first batch was okay but after a bit of tweaking, the second batch is a keeper. Maybe it was the alcohol talking since I was doing a lot of quality control. *Wink Wink* 

Ingredients
1 carton (250g) of pasteurized eggs
1 1/2 tins of condensed milk (each tin was 300g)
2 cans of Evaporated Milk (each can was 370 ml)
1/2 Bottle of Rum (about 1 1/2 cup) 
2 Tbsp Angostura Bitters
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 lime rind





I used dark rum but you can use what ever brand you like. 
In a large bowl, whisk eggs and lime rind together. Add all the other ingredients and continue whisking. Remove the lime rind. Pour in a clean empty bottle. This will fill 2 rum bottles. Chill and serve on ice. Note this drink tastes better the colder it is. Always keep in mind when you are serving products with milk or eggs the expiry dates. I use the date of the eggs as a guidelines as to when to finish drinking it.  

By the way, did you know that Angostura bitters is from Trinidad? I hope you enjoy this drink as much as I do. Merry Christmas and please enjoy responsibly. 




No comments:

Post a Comment