TEXT Mommy's Home: Wisdom from my 4 year old

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Wisdom from my 4 year old

I was chatting today with my 4 year old son today. Absentmindedly, I said to him you are pretty. He said, mom boys are not pretty. I then said, I'm sorry I meant handsome. He then told me, "boys don't care if they are pretty or handsome, they just want to play!" 

Wow! In a world that focuses on beauty it is so refreshing that a four year old put things in perspective. He doesn't care about labels. He doesn't need them. He just wants to be a kid. 


It is so easy for me to pay someone a compliment. It does make me rethink my words though. Do I need to tell a kid that they are pretty or handsome? Probably not. I could have easily said, "it looks like you are having a great day!" or "that is a great shirt, did you pick it out yourself?"


My kids continually teach me so much about myself. For that, it makes me so happy to be their MOM. 




No comments:

Post a Comment